Finding Happiness



A few years ago I found myself in a constant rut of negativity.  I would wake up being mad that I had to go to work {wasn’t too fond of that job} and I would go to sleep grumpy that I had to get up again so early the next day {had to get up at 4 am for said job}.  I was seriously affecting the people around me and I could feel that I was not a pleasant person to be around. I hated it. I starting writing positive self-affirmations all over my house, from the white board on my fridge to a sticky note on my bathroom mirror, they were EVERYWHERE.  I need to be reminded to be happy. To be thankful.  To be nice.  That might seem silly to some people but it was my reality at the time. I knew I had to do something to get myself out of my rut. I was the only person who could make it better, so, quite simply, I did just that.  Slowly but surely, the little notes started working. I’d find myself smiling when I saw my fridge note in the morning or the one I’d left in my planner the day before and forgotten about. 


I also started praying daily {sometimes 3 times a day} and thanking God for everything I had.  Instead of complaining about “having” to go to work, I thanked God for giving me the opportunity to go to work every day and make enough money to fully support myself.  There are countless people looking for jobs on any given day, and I knew that I had to appreciate and be grateful for what I had. 

These days I don’t even have to think about it when my alarm goes off in the morning…I’m immediately saying thank you thank you thank you to God for giving me another day.  Another day to wake up next to my amazing fiancé, another day to live in my cozy apartment, play with my adorable puppy, see my friends…the list is truly endless.  As someone who has suffered from anxiety and depression issues for the better part of 10 years {a post for another day}, I’m not sure I ever thought I could be this happy.  My life may not be perfect, but I’ve never been striving for perfection, I’ve always been striving for happiness. 

Regardless of your personal beliefs, if you ever find yourself in a situation like this or know of a friend who seems to be in a rut of sorts, give this a shot. Positive self-affirmations really do work.  So does prayer.  So do the work to find your happy, it might just be the best thing you ever do for yourself.

Labels: ,