Who are you writing for?

My sister's birthday was on Saturday and Dennis, Duke, and I went to Punch Bowl Social in Denver to help her celebrate.  I had a really great conversation with my brother-in-law while we were there and it really made me stop and think about who I'm writing for on this blog.  I have ALWAYS loved writing...from as early as 5th grade, I remember loving to write poetry and logging daily happenings in my journals.  I was generally seeking asylum from the anxiety demons that took up way too much of my head space.  And it always seemed to help. 
A lot has changed since my early days of battling Tourette syndrome, OCD, and a blossoming anxiety disorder, but I'm still writing for the same person.  Me.  At the end of the day, this is my favorite creative outlet.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE when other people read my stuff...I love it even more when something I write really resonates with someone, helps them out, or makes them laugh.  I also love looking back on old posts and remembering what our day to day lives were like years ago.  This is even more important to me now that I can share about Duke, because I know I will love looking back and reading about the early days.

I stumbled upon this post the other day that I wrote a few years ago.  I used to write myself self-affirmations on a white board on my fridge, or on sticky notes left around my apartment when I lived alone and was going through a tough time.  I still have a white board on my fridge {highly recommended} but now Dennis and I use it to write notes back and forth to each other.  We might leave the note up for a few days or weeks, even, before the other person erases it and writes one in response.  It never fails to make me smile when I see little tokens of my husband's love scrawled across the fridge whenever I walk into the kitchen.


Do you have a creative outlet?  Who are you writing/drawing/singing/teaching for?  I love this space and I love that I've been able to devote more time to it since I've been home with Duke.  If you're reading this, thank you a million times over for supporting this space of mine.

-T-

Labels: ,